Makes 20 cookies
- 115g vegan margarine
- 200g caster sugar or coconut sugar
- 5g vanilla essence
- 160g plain flour
- 5g baking powder
- 1g salt
- 105g desiccated coconut
- 100g plant based milk
- Cream the margarine and sugar together.
- Add everything else and mix well.
- Wet your hands a little and then form small balls (roughly the size of 10p) and roll. Place on a tray lined with a baking mat or parchment, leaving about 5 cm between each and press down a little to flatten.
- Bake at 170c / ESSE dial reading middle of MODERATE for approximately 18 minutes until golden.
- For an extra special treat – sandwich together with some delicious vegan chocolate cream.
Chocolate and Tofu Cream
- 250g of dark chocolate
- 300g firm silken tofu (ambient tofu)
- 30g Golden syrup
Melt the chocolate, stir in the Golden syrup. Put tofu in blender and blend whilst adding chocolate until smooth. Add a little warm water if necessary.
To make the luxurious, smooth dairy-free vegan frosting that sticks these cookies together, it’s really important to find the right kind of tofu. You need to use undrained and unpressed ‘ambient’ or ‘silken’ tofu which is widely available online and in health food shops.
Recipe by Dominique Ashford pastry chef.