- 450g rhubarb, cut into small chunks
- Juice of 2 oranges
- Caster sugar
- 200g plain sponge cake
For the custard
- 200ml milk
- 200ml double cream
- 5 egg yolks
- 50g caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 300ml double cream, softly whipped
- 50g toasted flaked almonds
- Place the rhubarb and orange juice in a oven-proof dish. Sprinkle over some caster sugar.
- Roast in the ESSE at 180C / ESSE dial reading top end of MODERATE for about 15 minutes or until the rhubarb is tender.
- To make the custard, put the milk and cream into a saucepan with the vanilla extract. Bring to the boil and take off the heat.
- Put the egg yolks and sugar in a bowl and stir to mix.
- Pour in the heated milk/cream and whisk.
- Put the mixture back into the saucepan and cook gently until it thickens – do not boil. (Induction hob is excellent for this)
- Allow to cool. Then refrigerate to chill it down.
- Cut the sponge cake into small dice and sprinkle over the juice from the cooked rhubarb.
- Choose a glass bowl or dishes to assemble your trifle. Put in a layer of sponge followed by rhubarb then custard.
- Finish with a layer of custard and top off with whipped cream and flaked almonds.
Recipe prepared by Philippa Vine at Bluebell Farmhouse Kitchen and ESSE Cookery School.