- Use oxtail or shin of beef – remove all surplus fat.
- Carrots, onion, celery, turnip if liked and seasoning.
- Plain flour, tomatoes, skinned, lemon juice, mixed spice, a pinch of grated nutmeg, cinnamon.
- Herbs: parsley, sage, thyme, bay leaf suspended in gauze bag – tied with string.
- In a large thick saucepan, put a little oil to heat.
- Mix flour and spices together and coat each piece of meat thoroughly.
- Fry slowly on all sides.
- Cover with cold water.
- Make up herb mixture – tie with string to handle, add a squeeze of lemon juice and simmer gently for approximately two hours in the ESSE cooker.
- Meanwhile prepare all the vegetables then add to the meat, bring to the boil and again simmer for another 30 minutes or until the vegetables are cooked.
- Season well at this stage and thicken with cornflour or any other way you choose. A mixture of beans or lentils can be added before simmering stage if liked.
- This stew improves by standing overnight in the fridge and eaten the next day.
Recipe by Phiilipa Vine, Bluebell Farmhouse Kitchen.