This is a lovely savoury cake to make with leftover bits of cheese, ham or olives left in the fridge. It’s great picnic food or a nice savoury treat to serve with an aperitif. It’s definitely one to experiment with, would be delicious with stilton and walnuts or chopped mozzarella and chorizo, the choice is yours.
- 300g Plain Flour
- 200g Grated cheese of your choice, or you can include some crumbled feta.
- 200g ham or cooked bacon, chopped small
- 150g melted butter
- 4 eggs
- 2-3 tbsp milk
- 7g (1 sachet) fast action dry yeast
- salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 200˚C
- Grease a large loaf tin.
- Put all of the ingredients into a large bowl and mix well. Scrape into the prepared tin.
- Leave in a warm place to rise for an hour, the top of the ESSE is ideal.
- Bake for 10 mins and then turn the oven down to 180˚C and bake for a further 25-30 minutes. Insert a skewer into the centre to check that it is cooked through, it may need a few minutes longer.
- Leave the cake in the tin to cool for 15 minutes on a wire rack, turn out and ideally eat warm.
- Leftover cake keeps well for up to 5 days wrapped in greaseproof paper and stored in the fridge.
Recipe by Roxy Bannerman, Roxy’s Sauces.