These are very moreish rich brownies made with fresh strawberries.
For this reason they need to be kept in the refrigerator after making and will only keep for 2-3 days (not that they will last that long!).
If you want them to keep longer then don’t add the strawberries to the mixture but serve with them instead.
Recipe by Carol Bowen Ball.
Makes 16 squares.
- 350 g dark plain chocolate, broken into pieces
- 250 g unsalted butter
- 3 eggs
- 250 g dark brown muscovado sugar
- 100 g plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 250 g strawberries, halved
- Line the base of a 24-cm square cake tin with non-stick parchment and oil the sides if not non-stick. Preheat the oven if necessary to 170 C/Fan 150C/Esse Dial Guide MODERATE. (Aim for the dial reading to be in the middle of MODERATE).
- Melt the chocolate and butter in a bowl over hot water and stir until smooth.
- Whisk the eggs and the sugar together in a bowl for 2-3 minutes until light and fluffy. Fold into the chocolate mixture.
- Sift the flour and the baking powder together and fold into the chocolate mixture.
- Spoon about one-third of the mixture into the prepared tin and level the surface. Top with the halved strawberries. Top with the remaining chocolate mixture to cover the strawberries and level the surface.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes until the surface is set or when the top just starts to crack. Allow to cool in the tin, cut into squares to serve.